Thursday, January 18, 2007

How to make paneer, Homemade paneer!

This a Part repost, part recap Blog post!

How to make Paneer at home?
Fresh Paneer that you can use to cook mouth watering dishes like Palak Paneer ,or the reason this post was made about a year back. Mattar Paneer, or Paneer with green peas.
I started that post with the lines "The secret of making paneer unvieled!!!" And BTW, the layout for my new blog is almost ready.. Just a little tweaks here and there and we will be in our new distination soon. All fresh posts in there.. No importing of posts.. I just can't have the thought of deleting this blog. Some dishes I will cook again and repost even, for new readers who are too lazy to browze the archives..




The picture above is of the paneer, prepared myself. Turned out quite easy. Otherwise it wouldn't have been posted on Bachelor Cooking!
I had prepared it with inspiration from Atabela..

This is quite simple, simple enough for green horn cooks.

And it was indeed tastier than the Dairy manufactured Paneers that we buy.

Steps:

Boil Milk in a vessel.

* I boiled 1 litre of milk for the purpose.. and The ball above is just about the size of a Cricket Ball, so if you want a bigger Ball, get two litres. I eat alone so It was enough for me.

Boil Milk in low heat ( Low heat so that the milk don't spill, no use crying over spilt milk right?) Boil until about 1/4 or a quarter of the milk has evaporated has evaporated.

When 3 quaters of the milk remain, squeeze some lime juice.

OK put pre-squeezed lime juice. For 1 litre of milk, it took s table spoons of freshly squeezed juice to get all the milk solidify or coagulate. (For more milk use more lime).

The milk will now start to coagulate. That is what we wanted. When you see that the solid and watyre has separated, remove the vessel from heat.

Now lay a muslin cloth like the seen in the picture above over the mouth of another vessel, and pour the milk over it so that only the solid if caught in the cloth.

gather up the sides of the cloth and hold it like a sack or purse.

When you have gathered the sides on the top, hold tight and turn the solid below, so that the cloth tightens over the solid milk or paneer.

(**Now, hot water will squirt from the mesh in the cloth and it will be really hot, so do the tightening under a running water tap.)

Hand the sack for sometime, and then Open..

If you want to cook it, you make cut them into cubes as below.


Deep fry the paneer cubes slowly and slightly till the color below. It makes for much better mattar paneer, paneer Masala or any paneer dish.

Fry just till this brown.. Is it golden brown?

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds lovely i have never tried Paneer but i know people who have and said good things about it. Thanks for the recipe.

1/18/2007 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger FH said...

Great recipe,thanks Tony!Happy 2007!:))

1/18/2007 07:16:00 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

How many tablespoons of lime juice? Gotta try this since it looks so simple.

1/22/2007 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

u simply rock;) all the best and the paneer looks gr8..

1/24/2007 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger TNL said...

Looks great! Thanks for the detailed recipe..will know where to come the next time I make paneer...

Cheers,TRS

1/27/2007 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger starry said...

Looks good, and nothing like stuff made at home.

1/28/2007 03:06:00 AM  
Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi Anthony
Havent seen you in a while. Where have you been?

1/30/2007 12:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anthony,
I want Paneer, Paneer and more Paneer recipes. Thanks for the recipe and step by step procedure of making paneer at home.
have you tried this Paneer pancakes:
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/14842-post53.html

2/08/2007 06:26:00 AM  
Blogger Seema Bhat said...

Anthony,
You made paneer from scratch. You the best. Paneer looks perfect
-
Seema

2/08/2007 08:02:00 PM  
Blogger Bleu78 said...

I did a search for simple Indian recipes and your blog came up! Love your blogsite including the bachelor one. I am filipino and love Indian food, so I want to try cooking it from scratch. Thanks for the onion advice- very helpful!

2/12/2007 10:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your paneer looks really wonderful. The couple of times I have tried to make it, I always ended up with something more crumbly that falls apart -- sort of like feta cheese. Any tricks for making sure the paneer holds together well so that I can cut it into pieces like you have done?

2/19/2007 11:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this wonderfully instructive way to make Paneer. usually I do get Paneer from the stores but after seeing your blog I am tempted to make paneer at home.
Chk here for this simple Paneer dish:
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/10490-post80.html

2/20/2007 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger a.J. ("( 'o', ) said...

thanks soooo much for that picture of paneer
yummo...
i wish my boyfriend's mum would cook more of her native indian cuisine
http://ajgazmen.wordpress.com/

2/26/2007 02:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anthony, you make this seem very easy. I do make paneer at home but yours looks too good. The cubes look so fresh and tight. Also, after it is fried it looks most appetising!

3/13/2007 08:38:00 PM  
Blogger Chef Jeena said...

You have great recipe idea's, I have made paneer but used vinegar, this version sounds tastier I really like this blog! :)


visit jeena's kitchen healthy recipe blog

3/25/2007 03:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yay! Looking for paneer-making instructions was on my to-do-list this week. Thanks for sharing!

3/29/2007 06:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops, one question: Does fat content of the milk matter? Which one would be best?

3/29/2007 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@Stef:

Hmmm..... I have not given it much thought. But I won't use skimmed milk. Use a rich milk, and if you don't like fat, just remove the fat that get accumulated and floats on the surface as you bring it to a slow boil, before adding the lemon juice...

That way u can rid of the excess fat and not risk getting a bad paneer from the skimmed milk :) .. But as I said I haven't really tried using skimmed milk

3/30/2007 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ James: You should try it :)

@ Asha: Thanks a lot Dear!! And yeah, I am starting my new blog soon :(

@ Cyndi: I was afarid so I put a little bu the milk won;t curdle so I ended up using about 3 TBS for a litre of milk.

@ Haripriya: Thanks a lot... It was pleasure..

@ Trupti: You are most welcome !!

@ Starry Night: HJey lalitha.. Been long time... And hey thanks for dropping by,, I had been a lil busy.

@ SPice Lover: What ca I say :)... will "busy" suffice.. i will be back very soon

@ Anon: Thanks for the link

@ Seema: Thank you very much.. the pleasure though was all mine :)

@ Rain: Ypu can ask for any specific tips and advice :) We indian love giving advice lol

@ Coriander:

Hmm the trick is to wring the muslin cloth tightly... under running water, and then hand it..

@ AJ: It was my pleasure...

@ Pritya: Thanks Pritya.... :)

@ Jeena: U got a nice blog jeena

3/30/2007 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Jyothi said...

hi, i am a new food blogger and new visitor to your blog. Really impressed and became regular visitor. I like paneer very much. This weekend i am going to prepare homemade paneer and will prepare your palak paneer recipe. thanks for sharing. Please visit my food blog and let me know your valuable advices and comments.
Thanks

4/09/2007 09:52:00 AM  
Blogger Deborah Dowd said...

Anthony,

Just found you blog and am very impressed. I can't find paneer here, so this is great for me. I can't wait to give it a try!

I have added your site to my blogroll.

6/09/2007 06:28:00 PM  
Blogger Shanti Thokchom said...

Hey! thanks for that recipe.I had been making paneer that way ever since I developed a love for cooking.The only difference is that I use regular vinegar instead of the lime juice as in your recipe.I learnt this from a Punjabi friend in NYC.The cheesecloth that you used is exactly the way I do it and it reminds me so much of the fun and excitement over paneer making!!Kudos to you for sharing !! Its not that hard to make paneer!! It saves us money too!!!Thanks so much!!

7/12/2007 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger The Bhandari's said...

hey thats good, even I do make paneer myself with only difference I don't reduce milk and as soon as it boils once I add lime juice and results are good

8/22/2007 01:24:00 AM  
Blogger Nini said...

Thank you for the recipe. It looks easy enough, will try soon. Thanks again.

10/19/2007 07:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice and easy...or fast and easy... this makes me hungry...

1/05/2008 07:07:00 AM  
Blogger My religeon is Humanity!!! said...

Hi Anthony thanks for the recipe... it looks gr8.. i am going to try it tonight... just wanna know if i can use any other cloth then muslin... coz i dont have muslin cloth at home.. any suggestions???

1/12/2008 08:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home